Thursday, May 9, 2013

big city syndrome

This post may be a little negative and bitter, but my views and the way I look at things is what this blog will be all about.  So, the other day I was on the bus with my sister going home, there were hardly any people so we sat down in the fold down chairs by the wheelchair designated area, me sitting with my back to the front of the bus. We get to a stop and all of a sudden I feel this huge blow to the side of my head and my sunglasses fly off and land on the floor. It was a fellow bus-rider trying to get through. The aisle is very thin and I have bumped into people numerous times, who doesn't? Although this time it wasn't just a tiny bump to my arm...It was an empty bus and this man elbowed me in the head so hard to the point that I let out a little surprised "yelp". The shocking part of it all? He did not even turn around to apologize, not even an acknowledgement that said "woops, didn't mean to" ...... Are you joking???? This wasn't a 15 year old boy with no manners and a little-dog-complex, he had to be at least 55. He couldn't even apologize?! This is the kind of thing that makes me grow tired of Sweden. There are so many people in this little country that lack manners and general ability to acknowledge that other people exist as well and aren't just blocks of flesh walking around. So, to fight back, I spoke loudly about how awful it is that adults lack such manners here in Sweden and that its the older generation we should blame for "rude and awful teenagers". I'm a teen, turning 19 this June and without sounding gross, I am EXTREMELY polite compared to that guy. I've become so sensitive to this throughout the years, and its become deeper when I started working in a shop. I work in a very small store, and it surprises me how people can be so rude to a salesperson. Though I feel like this is "big city syndrome" (coined that) and people just don't feel the energy to be nice since you pass so many people in a day, I feel lke its almost more important! There are one million people living in the tiny city of Stockholm, so it gets crowded. Our central station is CRAZY, and I've been pushed around countless times, and might have gotten an apology once.. is it so hard to say "excuse me"? Its one of the first things we learn as a child, how can we all have forgotten it?

I don't remember a lot of details from our years living in New Jersey, but something that is telltale american is hospitality and kindness towards strangers... two summers ago my best friends and I flew half way across the world to San Diego, where our Malin is from and lived there for 3 weeks...best trip ever, but more about that another time. We all noticed (I think because of our time in Sweden) how polite Americans are. When you get to a cashier in a grocery store they'll not just mumble hello to you like here, but always a "hi how are you?". It's not a huge difference, but that little act of kindness can make your day! Us obviously being tourists created a mutual interest in "the locals" and "where are you from?" was a constant but simple question during our trip. The line is thin between nice and impolite, and its SO easy to not be a massive b**** ;)

Since I have nothing to illustrate this, I'm going to add some photos from our trip to San Diego, brighten the mood a little


Sea World



La Jolla Cove


Windansea beach


did some drinking...shh don't tell the cops


baywatched..


danced a lil' bit





No comments:

Post a Comment