Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Travel or Travel?


My best friend Malin left Stockholm this week to return to Sydney for a second time for a "gap year" trip. She's going to live and work there for a few months and well..skip our awful Swedish winters. I've never been to Australia and I would love to go, I'm definitely jealous but after I dropped her off at the bus station I started thinking about how funny it is that two people that are so similar in some ways, can be so different in other ways as well? When I think about what Malin is doing, it's so right for her, it doesn't feel strange that she's going back, but I would never be the one doing it the way she is.

 Right now my friends and I are at the age of the word "travelling" not just meaning a vacation, but...a new lifestyle. Being a "traveller" is more than just a 2 week beach holiday, you have to live out of a backpack and stay in 1 dollar hostels and get food poisoning but still decide to go out and party because there's always something going on every night. To each their own and I am definitely not trying to bash what thousands of young adults are doing, what I'm trying to say is that I love traveling, but I don't like "traveling"... make sense? There are so many different ways to see the world, and I want to see it all someday, but I wouldn't do what Malin is doing and I think thats the charm in friendship. You see and do things differently and you kind of get to experience everything because of that. Now I get to know what its like to be a 19 year old in Sydney even though this little 19 year old is sitting in Stockholm hours and hours away.

There are so many places I want to go to for my second "gap year", but I just don't have the time (or the money for that matter) to squeeze it all in! I want to go to China and see my dad, Australia to see Malin, England to see my boyfriend and friends, and New York to visit Anna. Why am I not a millionaire? ...make that billionaire actually. 

I really do feel that travel broadens the mind and teaches you a lot about not only your new surroundings but about yourself too, and I can't wait to see it all! But, I've managed to cover a bunch of places in the past few years, among them are these two trips! 



A trip to California...


...And another to China.


So what sort of traveler are you? 

See the world all at once, or do it bit by bit through the years?



From this summer in Nyköping, I miss that little nugget already!




No comments:

Post a Comment